The UAE is at the forefront of the media & entertainment sector in the Middle East. It is evolving into a destination for production of content. It is broad and includes broadcasting (satellite TV, IPTV, radio, streaming), music and video content, social media, publishing, live, outdoor or recorded entertainment – from opera, concerts, stage plays to sporting events.
With one of the world’s highest smartphone, social media, broadband usage rates – this fast-changing environment is coming to terms with digitization. Adding to this, are major government initiatives such as setting up clusters like Dubai Internet City (DIC), Dubai Media City (DMC), IMPZ, Dubai Studio city (DSC), new theme parks and resorts to name a few. The UAE has a Federal telecom law, overseen by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), which governs the above.
Unlike other sectors, media and entertainment embodies IP, cross-border communication and jurisdictions. It includes contentious, non-contentious matters, civil and criminal matters that fall under both the ‘real world’ and cyber i.e. virtual.
Al Gharib Law Firm’s IP experts understand this complex and dynamic sector. We provide the spectrum of legal services related to rules, codes and standards. Our experience honed over the past 15 years has helped us to advise clients throughout the media, technology and entertainment sector and apply those laws in a practical and effective way.
Our Media & Entertainment practice related services, include, but are not limited to:
- Setup and structuring media and entertainment companies ‘onshore’ or in freezones
- Drafting contracts related to filming permits, hiring, licensing, royalties, distribution
- IP advisory and protection related to talent, content, piracy, trademarks and copyright
- Contentious matters, such as social media offences, culturally acceptable content
- Advisory on mergers, acquisitions, transactions
- Raising finance related to film/TV production
- Legal counsel related to licensing, streaming, publishing, fair use, rights clearance
- Protection of original content such as videos, compositions and recordings
- Obtaining filming permits, permissions for live events and regulatory compliance
- Advise on booking talent and venues, sponsorship and escrow agreements
- Media contracts, disputes, litigation and arbitration
- Creating publishing agreements and performing rights documentation