The UAE is a major retail destination of choice. The retail sector is highly competitive. Consumers are more demanding and spoilt for choice than ever before. With some of the world’s biggest and best malls, hypermarkets, shopping festivals, duty free outlets – millions flock to retailers here every day. The sector also includes wholesale and distributors, which use UAE as a trading hub.
In fact, the sector contributes 11 per cent to GDP, while Dubai’s retail and wholesale sector accounts for 29 per cent of GDP.
A major constituent of the sector’s sales is Fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) or consumer packaged goods (CPG) i.e. those with short shelf life, perishable, move high volumes, and sold quickly at a low cost. Examples include: soft drinks, toiletries, over-the-counter drugs, pre-packaged foods, meat, fruits, vegetables, dairy, cigarettes, candy, cleaning products, cheap mobile phones, batteries, accessories and cables.
Such a major sector has its share of legal challenges. It encompasses consumer rights, product safety, warranty, support, refunds, trademarks to name a few. With the rapid growth of non-store retailing via e-commerce it embodies diverse areas such as IP, health, real estate, trading and contentious, non-contentious matters, civil and criminal matters.
The Al Gharib team of experts understands this dynamic sector and provide the whole spectrum of legal services. Our international and local market experience honed over the past 15 years has helped us to advise retail and FMCG clients.Noted for our adoption of innovative practices, we have advised start-ups to high street brands/retailers, malls, brands to help them apply laws in a practical and effective way.
Our Retail & FMCG practice offers services, that include, but are not limited to:
- Franchising, distribution and brand licensing agreements
- Drafting contracts related to procurement, storage, outsourcing merchandising, shipping, health and safety
- Advising e-commerce providers on digital marketing, fraud, data protection
- Employment related legal advice to HR, senior management contracts, policies, safety, training and redundancies
- Consumer/retailer protection rights related to sales, refunds, service and warranties
- Legal advice across retail platforms (online, instore, kiosks, pop-up stores, tele sales)
- Agreements on security for concerned participants or fans
- Advisory on retail property, leasing, fit outs, lease renewal
- Setup and structuring of companies ‘onshore’ or offshore in freezones
- Drafting contracts related to stock, distribution rights
- IP protection related to brands, counterfeits, piracy and trademarks
- Advisory on M&A, shareholder arrangements and joint ventures
- Raising finance related to malls, shopping centers and packaging factories