The UAE is fast growing into a sporting and leisure destination of choice. With the establishment of major venues like Dubai Sports City, frequent local and international football, cricket, horse racing, golf, tennis, sailing, F1; hundreds of resorts, live, outdoor sporting events, leisure activities all-round the year from sailing to sky diving the sector is dynamic and vibrant.
With the new law Cabinet Resolution (31) of 2015 the Executive Regulations of Federal Law No (8) of 2014 regarding establishment of Emirates Center for Sports Arbitration concerning the security of sports, leisure facilities and events, the sector has come to the fore front. It provides guidance around legal obligations with hosting of sports events, venues, athletes, and fans.
The new Sports and Leisure law covers a range of disciplines and overlaps with other sectors such as media, entertainment, broadcasting, hospitality, health and safety as well. It includes contentious, non-contentious matters, civil and criminal matters that fall under both the ‘real world’ and cyber i.e. virtual.
The Al Gharib Law Firm of experts understand this complex, dynamic sector and provide the whole spectrum of legal services. Our international and local market experience honed over the past 15 years, has helped us to advise clients throughout the sports and leisure sectors. Noted for our adoption of innovative practices, we have helped clients apply laws in a practical and effective way.
Our Sports & Leisure practice offers services, that include, but are not limited to:
- Sports dispute resolution
- Sponsorship and brand licensing agreements
- Drafting contracts, disputes, litigation and arbitration
- Agreements on security for concerned participants or fans
- Sales of tickets and merchandise
- Setup and structuring of companies ‘onshore’ or offshore i.e. in freezones.
- Drafting contracts related to permits, hiring, licensing, royalties
- IP advisory related to talent, content, piracy, copyright infringement
- Advisory on mergers, acquisitions, transactions
- Raising finance related to sporting and leisure venues or events
- Legal counsel related to licensing, streaming, fair use, rights clearance
- Obtaining permissions for live events
- Advise on booking talent and venues, sponsorship and escrow agreements
- Players rights, training compensations and required solidarity contribution
- Endorsements, and other specific contractual advice
- Represent football related clients in arbitration procedures before sports federation bodies such as FIFA Player’s status committee, Dispute Resolution Chamber, Dubai Court of Arbitration for Sports and the FIFA Disciplinary Committee